Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

With Gout, how much water should I drink?

Everyone knows that water is important for improving Gout.  As mentioned in my previous sharing, loosing water can trigger gout attack.  However, how much water should we drink each day?  Especially during Gout attack? Some say 8 glasses. Some say 10.  That’s what I used to follow.  Although I thought I was drinking enough water each day, I found my Gout attack had not improve so much.  What is the problem? Is my gout so serious that it would not be improved by during more water?


I did a search for how much water exactly we need.  The Institute of Medicine says that an adult male needs 3.7 litres and female 2.7 litres per day.  They call it adequate intake which includes the water coming from different sources, such as beverages and food.   Food contributes about 20% of total water intake.  That means a male needs to drink 2.96 litres (3.7litre x 0.8) and female 2.16 litres (2.7 x 0.8) of beverages.  Assuming 8 ounce (237ml) per glass, that is 12.5 glasses (9 glasses for female) per day.  It is 50% more than we have been told.  In addition, there are other factors affecting how much water you need each days.  For a health person, the amount of exercise and temperature also play their part.  Some website even accounts your body weight to calculate the amount of water you need.  No wonder why my gout did not improve very much!  I bet I need more than 3 litres each day.


So, how to drink enough water each day?  For a health female, the 8 8-ounces glasses reminder, which so called “8x8 rule” should help.  However, this is somewhat misleading for male.  To be honest, it is kind of difficult to count how many glasses of water each day.  Even harder is to drink 12.5 glasses a day!   That is 1.5 hours per glass!  It is easier than said, especially when you are working.  I used to drink water only when I was thirty.  One of my friends said he would use a larger cup (375ml) in order to drink more water.  That’s not a bad idea.   

As a person with Gout, I think the focus should not be how much I drink, but how much I discharge.  This is because the aims of drinking more water are to dilute the uric acid concentration in blood and to discharge the purine.   Hence, I would not count how many glasses of water I drink but rather how often I go to the toilet.  While no attack, my target would be once per 2 hours.  While during Gout attack or high purine period, I would drink more water until I go to toilet around once per hour.   Besides, I also monitor the color of the urine.  If it is yellow, that means I definitely need to drink more water.  Of course, this is just my goal.  I have to admit that sometimes it is not achieved.

One final remark. The Institute of Medicine stated that the fluid handling capability of the kidneys 0.7L (24 ounces) per hour. So, we need to have a better control of the intake frequency at the same time.

Suggested Reading



2 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,

    You are almost where you need to be when you think water.

    As a holistic nurse, I treat this all the time. My success is as far as I know, 98%. This is based on my pay for performance policy. I only ask for payment when it works.

    Since everyone has told everyone else how this works, I do not get any more patients with gout in my community, thus, I can give this away now.

    First, for those who can afford it, tart cherry juice concentrate works best. The Montmorency cherry works the best of the best. Two table spoons in a glass of water. Do it every day for 15 days and then only 2 -3 days a week with 5 off. Maybe every weekend, this so you do not get used to it and it stops working.

    There is a place in Michigan, ships in glass bottles and has the highest Brix or concentration of the industry and is the least expensive when considering the whole cost. ( http://www.watercures.org/gout-symptoms-and-treatment.html )

    But, if not affordable or available, the next option is....

    The Water Cures Protocol ( http://www.watercures.org/water-cure.html )

    This involves an amount of water based on body weight. But, with every glass you will put a pinch of salt in your mouth. The salt helps the water get into all of your cells and gets everything lubricated as well as helps flush out the unwanted fluids as it replaces them with fresh water.

    The ideal use of the water cures protocol has you drinking 5 times a day. Most of my patients have success simply doing it first thing in the morning and before bed. Don't go crazy trying to do it 5 times a day or you will not be able to sustain it.

    The salt has to be the unprocessed sea salt like Celtic or Himalayan salt. This is the safe kind of salt that for most will lower blood pressure when taken with water. Actually, if you have gout, you should never use table salt again.

    The other important aspect of the water cures protocol, do not eat for 30 to 45 min after you drink and take your salt. This allows the water to get past the stomach and into the gut where it can be absorbed, get into the blood and work.

    This is not a once and done thing. This is a life change, although simple, one we have to do every day for the rest of our lives to end the gout symptoms. I have all of my patients do this. From cancer to high blood pressure, every day, make it a habit.

    If you should have alcohol, make sure to have at least two extra glasses of water (and pinches of salt) for every glass of wine, bottle of beer or shot.

    Hope this helps.

    Good health to you and your readers.

    Nurse Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, the virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because I have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but I still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lupus,Lyme Disease,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. .Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Myelo ,Lung disease,Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis, I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / . even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so I will advise you if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete